Subaru Club of Guam
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

how do you know you need coilovers?

4 posters

Go down

how do you know you need coilovers? Empty how do you know you need coilovers?

Post  subantha Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:39 pm

just out of thought..whats your input on this..

what exactly will coilovers accomplish vs. inserts,springs,stock suspensions? comfort or for performance?

Thanks for the help.
subantha
subantha

Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Back to top Go down

how do you know you need coilovers? Empty Re: how do you know you need coilovers?

Post  subantha Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:44 pm

and also if theirs a mid setup good for weekend track and guam daily road condition??
subantha
subantha

Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Back to top Go down

how do you know you need coilovers? Empty Re: how do you know you need coilovers?

Post  catgut Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:38 am

Depending on how much time you want to invest in figuring out what works best for your package (driving style, car weight, tires, wheel weight, wheel alignment, what's a practical ride height, acceptable ride quality, etc.) It also depends on what type of coil-over set you are considering; not all are the same with respect to adjustability as Jhay mentioned but to add spring rate as well.

Is this for autox use or just for ride height adjustability for show? or both? I guess you have to decide on whether or not the $$ spent is worth your goals in my opinion.

If you are set-it and forget-it kind of guy but want as near factory as possible ride then you really should ride in cars that have coil-overs so you can make a more informed decision because I can tell you that making a move to coil-overs is more than often NOT for comfort, period. Generally speaking it's for a more direct feeling/driver suspension feedback so you can be more "connected" with the road and make use of your car's overall steering/suspension package.

Simply put: it's kind of like shoes. If you want a plush and cushy walking shoe you get something with those attributes but the trade-off is usually more weight and you don't feel the pavement/floor as much (more isolation). On the contrary if you want a running shoe that's all business for a more 'direct feel' and energy transfer you get a running shoe but with trade-offs yet again (light weight but more harsh on joints, shins, not comfortable). You'd never see a sprinter wearing Lugz for track & field Mad Embarassed nor would you comfortably wear driving shoes walking around for hours for HIN Laughing

You have to first decide on what you want out of your car package (what class you want to run in too), then decide a budget, then look at your options (adjustability and reliability), then realize that if you go to coil-overs this usually comes with more investment ($$ and time) because this step usually requires a bit more in supporting mods to take full advantage of it's capabilities (think tires, suspension/body braces, wheel alignment, lightening, etc.) and so on. I think by now you realize that investing in coil-overs is really a big commitment if you really want to go in that direction.

afro For show? If you have the cash and willing to accept mostly harsher than STi ride...go for it! Just choose a reliable set. Keep in mind that there are lowering springs you can use too.

Cool For Guam autox? I say learn your stock package and learn it well then make an informed decision based your driving style and after you visualize what more you want out of the STi package.

Again, just my opinion on the matter. I'm still learning my suspension package, OEM struts with soft drop springs + some minor mods and an alignment to suit. I'm not sold on coil-overs yet, non-issue for me now unless I get whooped really really bad and I know I can't go any faster no matter my skill but I can say that coil-overs are low on my priority list of mods + I don't have $$ to burn so my decisions are twice as important.

Get on NASIOC and IWSTI along with other boards; lots of good reading for suspension. Also read some books on performance driving and suspension set-up. Loads of information you can draw from and make a more informed decision.

J
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Number of posts : 466
Registration date : 2008-12-03

http://guamsubieowners.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  gonzosti Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:26 am

Dennis got a killer mag on Subie mods...hope he brings it Sunday...got a lot of info and comparisions...
gonzosti
gonzosti
SCG Artist/Designer

Number of posts : 518
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://gonzoink.com

Back to top Go down

Post  gummx97 Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:40 pm

Does STI's have coil overs in their stock suspension? I never bothered to look at this aspect of the vehicle. All I've been conscious about is the RPM and Fuel gauge.
gummx97
gummx97
SCG Vice-President

Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2008-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post  catgut Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:16 am

^^No, not from factory Rudy.

I think some of you STi guys get the inverted struts though Rolling Eyes Suspect

I feel my suspension is inadequate Sad I'll stop here.study

J
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Number of posts : 466
Registration date : 2008-12-03

http://guamsubieowners.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum